PCPT Architects are moving.
New office with new number from 17th March:
0121 523 9335, no fax.
Email and web site remain unchanged
Address: PCPT Architects Ltd., 14 Hylton Street, Birmingham. B18 6HN
The Birmingham House
The oldest house in the city
is an original Birmingham House from 1827. This
brand was duplicated throughout the
town as two houses, or in this case two back-to-backs, either side of a tunnel
‘entry’. Access to the houses was along the entry and then a courtyard with
other houses, privvy and brew. The houses were for large families doing
piecework for the manufacturers in the Jewellery Quarter with vaulted basements
and a large open top floor much like a ‘top-shop’.
It is one of only a handful left in
the city and by far the best example but, remarkably, it is not listed. It has
been purchased by a well know local business man and PCPT have secured planning
permission to recreate the form of the houses and the courtyard.
43a Calthorpe Road
have been granted planning permission for a bold approach within a conservation
area at 43a
The extension along
is to the rear of a cellular brick mid-Victorian house which features a fine
galleried stair and roof lantern.
PCPT’s approach is to allow the existing
house to be seen at its best and without destroying unique features or the
arrangement of rooms, whilst incorporating new showrooms in a modern building
with an atrium.
31-33 Far Gosford St, Coventry
With the completion of numbers 31
and 33 Far
PCPT architects are nearing the end of the
regeneration of the street which we started in the 1990’s as just a notion. The
project on the street is now acknowledged as an exemplar of heritage led
regeneration which has allowed the community to develop its own opportunities to
a masterplan; gentrification this is not!
What we found when we started was a
adulterated timber frame which clearly hinted at being one of the oldest
properties surviving in the city. From then it was a voyage that led to the
discovery of a mid C15th. hall house. The development included new building to
the rear in a recreation of the ‘courts’ that were typical of
in the early
C19th. but have now disappeared from the city.
With a large bar/restaurant and
offices for the continuing regeneration of the city there are also five
Exciting new plans for Charterhouse
have been working closely with
Historic Coventry Trust to develop the overall plans for the buildings and
landscape at the remarkable Coventry Charterhouse as part of a £10M programme of
works. The aim is to tell the stories of 600 years from its inception as a
Carthusian Monastery, a place of silent worship, a Tudor home, market garden and
a Victorian home, until its last owner Colonel William Wyley bequeathed the
house to the city. The ultimate aim of the project is to live up to the wishes
of this bequest. PCPT are assisted by BPN and LUC.
Three key themes will be
recognised: Reflection, Discovery and Adaption. Through these themes we will be
able to explore key times in the site’s history, but also acknowledge that there
is still lots of history to be discovered through ongoing Archaeology and
research. With the support of Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic England and other
supporters, the Trust aims to restore the Charterhouse as a heritage attraction
for the people of the city and beyond. New facilities will include a café,
shop, visitor centre and a conference, wedding and events venue, as well as
large, varied gardens and parkland.
Ingestre Hall Orangery
We have been
appointed by the Friends of Ingestre Hall Orangery to carry out the works to
restore this intriguing Greek classical style orangery and make it a focus for
the community of Ingestre and Tixhall, close to
Ingestre Hall is one of those marvellous places
you happen upon with delight; a Capability Brown landscape, a Jacobean Hall
described as one of the finest in the country, a church attributed to Sir
Christopher Wren, a glorious Victorian ‘baroque’ stables …. but essentially it
is not a sanitised stately home with closing times and tea cakes but a real
working environment all year round; smelly, noisey and purposeful.
Anstice Memorial Hall, Madeley
Established by the local Anstice family, the hall was one of the great philanthropic institutions of the region. The Anstice Hall was built in 1870 and is supposed to be one of the first working men's clubs in the country, however it was closed some two years ago and remains as a Marie Celeste with a century and a half of goods and historic trappings at the very centre of Madeley.
PCPT together with Fresh Life Consulting have been asked to look at the listed building and prepare an Option's Appraisal which will review the future of this important community venture into a new age. Our client here is the Town Council and the Anstice Community Team.
Unity & Vittoria Works
The Unity Works is one of the most venerable listed buildings in Birmingham's world famous Jewellery Quarter with a grand frontage onto Vittoria Street.
PCPT Architects have lodged planning and listed building consent applications for Unity and the properties on either side: the listed Vittoria Works and two original street houses from the mid 1850's.
All together over 4,000sq. metres of prestigious loft-style accommodation will be provided around two main courtyards. It is hoped that the project will be one of the first beneficiaries of the Jewellery Quarter Development Trust’s Townscape Heritage initiative funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund which was announced just a few days ago.
Our client is Stonehurst Estates who come to the city with an track record of work on city centre conversions of factories for residential use.
Site 2, Far Gosford St, Coventry
The timber framed house at 31-33 Far Gosford Street has been a true voyage of discovery for PCPT. We knew something special lurked beneath the centuries of boarding and decay but the prestigious hall house, possibly from the C15th., has been a task of interrogation and query and a piecing together of clues in a frighteningly fast timescale.
PCPT have been involved with the truly place changing environment along Far Gosford Street for over 20 years when, with client Complex Development Projects, we first launched the notion of a creative community in the city.
The masterplan for Site 2 goes back to these days with two new blocks of accommodation facing Sky Blue Way and another infill along the street which includes a facsimile of a later timber framed house knocked down in 1927 to facilitate tram telemetry.
Charterhouse Funding Approved
million project to restore
’s Grade I
listed Charterhouse as the centre-piece of a new 70-acre
has taken a huge step towards
becoming a reality after a major grant was approved by the Heritage Lottery Fund
initial £400,000 has been awarded to the Charterhouse Coventry Preservation
Trust to work up the detailed plans to pave the way for an HLF grant of £4.7
million for Phase 1 of the
have assisted the Trust in the designs and preparation for this submission which
was decided at the national HLF Board and that recognised the huge significance
of this ‘hidden’ asset in the city.
HLF award carries forward a long unbroken success story for PCPT in submissions
to HLF that have generated £15m of funding in the last 4 years.
Royal Visit to The Jewellery Quarter
Royal seal of approval for Jewellery Quarter
HRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall made a visit to the Jewellery Quarter after being invited by the group tasked with spearheading its regeneration.
The visit organised by the Jewellery Quarter Development Trust (JQDT) saw the royal couple tour Birmingham City University’s School of Jewellery and the Prince went on a tour of the area.
As a memento of their visit, the Royal Highnesses left with a glittering keepsake after alumnus Jack Row - who graduated in 2009 and continues to work in the Quarter -presented them with limited edition handcrafted silver fountain pens.
David Mahony of PCPT Architects is the chair of the JQDT and hosted the workshop and gave the Prince a tour of the area. David said: “The Prince of Wales is a long-standing supporter of the Jewellery Quarter so this was a fantastic opportunity to showcase the work going on at the School of Jewellery and across the wider Jewellery Quarter.”
“During the visit he applauded the progress we have made in the regeneration
of the Quarter in recent years and pledged his continued support as we strive to achieve our long-term aspirations for this fantastic part of Birmingham.”
Cannock Gateway Retail Park
Gateway retail scheme gets green light
PCPT have gained planning consent for a Gateway Retail Park design in Cannock for joint venture clients Trebor Developments and Hortons' Estate.
A range of tenants, including Costa Coffee, Burger King and CSL Sofas, have already been secured for the multimillion-pound development. The retail park is expected to open in 2015 creating more than 100 jobs.
The project, located next to the M6 Toll road and A5, will regenerate a former council-owned site which has remained undeveloped for 40 years.
Trebor Developments managing partner Bob Tattrie said on behalf of the JV: "This is tremendous good news and allows us to now proceed to implement the scheme on our fast-track development model.
This is a further outstanding example of PCPT Architects retail design ability and creativity. We look forward to working with other developers and operators to deliver future retail developments.
Moseley Hall Hospital
Moseley Hall Hospital – Restoration and adaptation programme
Moseley Hall Hospital is listed grade 2 and dates from the late 18th century where it was originally the home of the Taylor family. In 1891 it become a children’s Hospital and then from 1948 became under the control of the National Health Service.
As part the phased restoration programme the first phase included the replacement of a major roof light that was deemed beyond repair. In consultation with the Conservation Officer the replacement was designed so that it was an exact match for the existing in terms of style, proportions and pitch.
The proposals also offered an improved thermal and ventilation performance by the introduction of proprietary double glazed units incorporating low E glass with anti sun reflective treatment. Future phased works will continue to include major elements of the external fabric, internal re-planning and the reworking of the Fire Strategy.
The Higgs Charity have appointed PCPT to do an outline feasibility for Drapers Hall in Coventry. The building dates to the early C19th and is a remarkable suite of rooms including a magnificent top-lit ballroom such that you can almost imagine a scenario and social mores from a Jane Austen novel.
The grade II* listed building maybe somewhat unassuming on the outside, but inside, the building is one of the great secrets of Coventry and could be made to provide badly needed performance space. It is ‘The Higg’s’ belief that the building should be opened up for stimulating uses in particular for the young of the city.
The Charterhouse Coventry Preservation Trust has appointed a team led by PCPT Architects to consider the future of the Grade I listed Carthusian Monastery (Charterhouse) on the London Road in Coventry.
The site had been used by the local college but became superfluous to needs; it was being offered for sale but PCPT have been able to help the community prepare proposals such that the site has been have been acquired by the trust and a grant from the Architectural Fund secured to start to look at the future opportunities.
A Charterhouse was a closed community with hermits dedicated to prayers occupying two storey ‘houses’ around the cloister. Only a few Charterhouses were built outside of France and this is a unique survivor with the Prior’s House substantially intact amid extensive riverside grounds with medieval walls and much archaeological evidence.
Exciting features such as wall paintings remain and it is PCPT’s role to consider the best ways to preserve and make a sustainable future for the benefit of the community. Micro brewery anyone ……………… or maybe Coventry’s own special brand of Chartreuse!
Royal Bank Of Scotland
PCPT Architects continue to build on their forty year relationship with the Royal Bank of Scotland and its predecessors, going back to National Provincial. We are continuing with multiple off-shore office and high street retail bank projects to modernise, rationalise and improve their estate.
Our work involves design and interiors as well as project management of the construction where rules regarding planning, tax and VAT, Building Regulation, duties on importing goods, etc. are specific to the channel islands and need a steady and experienced hand. The package of work is in the region of £5m and will be completed in mid 2014.
PCPT’s work in Far Gosford Street, Coventry, has received a further clutch of awards at a ceremony in Birmingham’s International Convention Centre on Friday 4th July. Harrabin Construction, the contractors under a traditional JCT Contract, administered by PCPT, received the Built in Quality awards for 38-40 Far Gosford Street and PCPT received the WMCEE Heritage Award for the work in the street with CDP and Coventry City Council as the clients.
With 30 English Heritage Listed and locally listed buildings from almost every generation since the early 16th century, the street is a survivor and these awards come at the end of the first phase which has focused on bringing the existing - especially the historic - fabric of the street into use. The next phase follows on from the Compulsory Purchase Order award made in the spring that should see the ‘straggler’ development coming forward and then the construction of modern infill in a courtyard setting lining Sky Blue Way starting later this year.
With a shortlisting of three projects across two categories in the awards, as Ralph Minott of Calthorpe Estates says, it is ‘a testament to PCPT, being part of so much that heritage stands for in the region’.
168 High Street, Dudley
Recently completed: A total refurbishment of an existing corner shop building known as 168 High Street in Dudley. It was originally owned by local retailer ‘Preedy’s’. The refurbished building is now a ground floor retail unit with first and second floor student accommodation containing 6 bedrooms. The works were part funded by Dudley MBC utilising ‘Townscape Heritage Initiative’ funding
The main building dates from Victorian period but there is an older Georgian property hiding underneath. Underneath that there is also some evidence of a much earlier stone building (1650’s?). The older existing shop-front dates from the 1920’s. Photographic evidence was used to refurbishment the shop front and return it to 1920’s style including moving the door back to the corner.
The works also included the following: New lime render, rebuilt and refurbished roof structure, new natural slate roof finish with cast iron rainwater goods, new sash windows with ‘Slimlite’ double glazing based on original type (corded and weights), major structural repairs, insulation (internal walls and roof) and rewired
35 Calthorpe Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham
Recently completed full restoration and extension of this key Grade II* listed building on the Calthorpe Estate, Birmingham
This Georgian building, dating back to 1820s, has been restored to provide new office accommodation. The majority of the work to this building was restoration, with specialist rendering work as necessity to retain existing features and finishes. Internal restoration and the new extension were carried out by working closely with Birmingham City Council’s Conservation and Building Control officers to incorporate traditional materials and techniques including lime render and lime plaster works and specialist paints in accordance with heritage listing requirements.
Special features included the restoration of the iron balstrude and handrail of the grand staircase, doors, sash windows and all the existing 180 year old timber floors were repaired, renovated and reinforced.
Insider Property Award for Fargosford
PCPT are delighted to announce that they were part of last weeks winning
team, the Fargo Partnership, as Fargosford Street, Coventry won the Regeneration
Award at the Insider Property Awards 2010, which were held at the Hilton
Birmingham Metropole hotel at the NEC.
The plan is to turn a run down edge of Coventry city centre into a thriving
area of creative businesses and alternative retail and leisure. The plan is
extremely complex and the judges were impresses by the level and depth of
cooperation shown by the partnership members.» Read more
New project win - Bridgewater Potteries
beaten strong competition to win the RENEW North Staffordshire commission for development of design options for the
(re)development of the existing Bridgewater Potteries site to determine a
solution which best fits with the aspirations for the area but also with the
aspirations of Bridgewater Potteries.
Bridgewater Potteries is currently operating
from an existing building within the Canal Quarter which is within the ownership
of the public sector. Overall the existing premises are an inefficient location
for the current and future needs of the pottery company. » Read more
Refurbishing more sustainable than replacement
PCPT assist in identifying refurbishment
as the more sustainable option. We assist developers and their advisers
recognise the incentives and opportunities to building refurbishment over
demolition and new build.
Rising energy costs are making refurbishment
projects an increasingly attractive option. Refurbishment is traditionally
viewed as more risky and costly than new build, though the benefits of heritage conservation, community retention and
higher resale values are acknowledged.» Read more